Goat Cheese and Blueberry Salad
- 2 cups Japanese bread crumbs (panko)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 scant pinch nutmeg
- 8ounces goat cheese
- 4 cups mâche greens
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pistachios
- 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 500º.
- In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, salt, and nutmeg.
- Roll goat cheese into 24 1/2-inch balls, and coat each ball in bread crumb mixture.
- Place cheese on a baking sheet, and bake until golden brown.
- Toss together mâche and next 3 ingredients.
- Drizzle salad mix with Blueberry Vodka Vinaigrette (see recipe below), and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Divide salad into 4 portions.
- Divide cheese balls among the salads, and serve immediately, garnishing with additional vinaigrette if desired.
Blueberry Vodka Vinaigrette
- 1 cup blueberry vodka
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- In a medium pot, bring vodka to a simmer and reduced by half.
- During cooking, carefully ignite with a long-handled lighter or match to burn off alcohol.
- In a blender, purée blueberries, garlic, mustard, and reduced vodka.
- With blender running, slowly add olive oil, and purée until well blended.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Lindsay Mason, Cristiano Ristorante, Houma