Bananas Foster French Toast
Servings: Serves 2
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 extra-large eggs, beaten
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 4 slices brioche or Challah
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 ripe bananas, sliced in 1/4-inch rounds
- 3 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- In a large bowl combine the cream, eggs and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
- In another, smaller bowl, mix together the sugar and cinnamon.
- Dip the slices of bread briefly in the cream mixture and sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on both sides.
- Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon of butter and 2 tablespoons of canola oil in a large sauté pan.
- When the butter mixture is hot, add the bread, 2 slices at a time and sauté on each side until golden brown, about 1 minute per side.
- Remove and reserve the slices and sauté the remaining slices.
- As an option, you may deep fry the slices at this point at 350 degrees for about 30 seconds to make the toast extra-crisp.
- Heat the remaining butter and oil in another sauté pan.
- Sprinkle the bananas with the cinnamon sugar, add them to the pan and sauté until the bananas are well coated and caramelized.
- Place 2 slices of French toast, overlapping, on each of 2 plates and pour the bananas over them.
- Dust them with the confectioner's sugar shaken from a strainer or shaker.
- Serve immediately.