Sweet Potato Beignets with Cinnamon Sugar
Servings: 4 to 6
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup granulated sugar combined with 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- Roast sweet potatoes at 350°F, with the skins on, until soft.
- Allow to cool, then peel and mash in a medium-size bowl. This should yield about 2 cups mashed sweet potato.
- Mix in sugar, eggs and spice.
- Sift together flour and baking powder, then add to batter.
- Heat oil in a deep pot to 350°F.
- Drop the batter into oil 1 ounce (about 2 tablespoons) at a time.
- Fry until dark golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Drain and roll hot beignets in cinnamon-sugar.
*Recipe Courtesy of Chef Stephen Stryjewski, Cochon