Coconut Crusted Gulf Shrimp
Servings: Serves 4
12 Gulf Shrimp (16-20 count)
1/2 tsp. lime juice
Vegetable oil for frying
1 oz. medium shredded coconut
1 tsp. baking powder
1 1/4 oz. cornstarch
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. Cayenne
6 oz. beer
1/2 tsp. salt
4 black plums. peeled and pitted
1/2 cups sugar
1 Tbs. fresh grated ginger
2 Tbs. chopped chipotle pepper. seeds removed
1 cup rice wine vinegar
- Peel the shrimp. leaving only the tail on. Skewer the shrimp. three to a skewer. leaving about a half inch between each.
- Combine the ingredients for the coconut crust and the beer batter. Dip each shrimp in the coconut mixture. then into the beer batter. then back into coconut crust.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep. heavy skillet to 375 degrees. Put the skewers in and fry until golden brown. Drain. and serve with the plum sauce.
- Combine all ingredients in a stainless steel saucepan.
- Bring to a light boil and cook for about ten minutes.
- Refrigerate what's not used right away.
*Recipe Courtesy of Ralph Brennan’s Red Fish Grill's