Louisiana Buffalo Shrimp
Servings: Serves 2
- 5 ounces Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1/2 pound whole butter, cold, unsalted, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 pound jumbo Louisiana shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 6 cups oil, preferably canola
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- In a small sauce pan, reduce the hot sauce until thick, add the heavy cream, bring to a boil, and lower the heat.
- On low heat, stir in the butter in stages, keeping the sauce hot the whole time. Set aside, but make sure it stays hot.
- Heat oil to 350ºF.
- Whip the eggs and add the milk for an eggwash.
- Bread the shrimp by rolling them in the flour, then dipping them in the egg wash, and rolling them in flour again.
- Fry shrimp in the hot oil for 3 minutes (depending on the fryer).
- Remove shrimp from oil and dry with a napkin.
- Put shrimp in a large bowl, add the reserved sauce, and toss.
- Plate the shrimp, draining most of the sauce from the shrimp as you do so, and top with bleu cheese crumbles.
*Recipe courtesy of Brent Applewhite