Leah Chase’s Fried Chicken
Servings: Serves 4
- 1 3-pound fryer chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- oil for frying
- Season chicken well with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Mix eggs, milk, and water. Pour mixture over chicken. Let sit for 5 minutes. In a heavy paper bag, mix flour, paprika, ground thyme, and granulated garlic. Place chicken in bag with flour mixture. Shake until chicken is well coated.
- Heat the oil in to 350°F Dutch oven. Place the chicken in hot oil and fry, turning as it browns. Heavy parts such as breast, thighs, and legs will take 15 to 20 minutes, wings about 10 to 15 minutes. Drain chicken on paper towels.
*Recipe courtest of Leah Chase, Dooky Chase, New Orleans, LA