Creole Shrimp & Grits
Servings: Serves 6
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 carrot, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 yellow onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 cans tomato sauce
- 2 15-ounce cans crushed tomato
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1 cup shrimp stock or water
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- thyme, to taste
- parsley, to taste
- 4 ears corn, roasted
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups grits
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 36 Louisiana shrimp (16–20 count)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- green onions, for garnish
- Shuck and roast corn till dark and soft.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, bring water, salt, butter, and cream to a boil.
- Add roasted corn and purée.
- Stir in grits; cook for 5 to 7 minutes until creamy and thick; add cheese
- In a large skillet, butter and sauté shrimp until cooked halfway.
- Add Creole tomato sauce and simmer an additional 5 to 8 minutes.
- To serve, spoon grits onto plate, top with shrimp and sauce.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese and green onions.
- Warm olive oil in medium size pot; add vegetables, and sauté till translucent.
- Add garlic and cook additional two minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste add tomato sauce and crushed tomato.
- Stir in vinegar and stock and simmer