Chicken & Andouille Gumbo
Servings: Serves 6-8 1 tablespoon salt
3 celery ribs chopped fine
1-1/2 teaspoons ground red pepper
1 gallon chicken stock
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
2 pounds Andouille or smoked pork
1 roasting chicken or hen
3-5 pounds sausage sliced 1/2 thick
2 cups medium roux
1 cup chopped green onions
2 large onions chopped fine
1 cup chopped parsley
2 bell peppers chopped fine
4-6 shakes Tabasco
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 celery ribs chopped fine
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground red pepper
- 1 gallon chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 pounds Andouille or smoked pork
- 1 roasting chicken or hen
- 3-5 pounds sausage sliced 1/2 thick
- 2 cups medium roux
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 2 large onions chopped fine
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 2 bell peppers chopped fine
- 4-6 shakes Tabasco
- In a small bowl, mix together the salt and peppers; set aside.
- Pull off the fat from the chicken neck and back cavities and set aside; cut the chicken into small serving pieces.
- Sprinkle half of the salt-pepper mixture over the chicken pieces.
- In a large heavy skillet, render the reserved chicken neck and back fat.
- Add the chicken pieces, brown on all sides, and remove.
- If you have not made your roux in advance, make it in the skillet, scraping loose any particles from the bottom and using the fat in the pan as part of the oil. If your roux is already made, add it to the skillet and get it good and hot.
- Add half the onions, bell peppers, and celery, stir well, and set aside to cook, stirring occasionally.
- Place the stock and the remaining onions, bell peppers, and celery in a large (6-8 quart) heavy pot and bring to a boil. Gradually stir in the roux.
- Add the rest of the salt-pepper mixture and let simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Add the chicken and sausage and continue to simmer slowly for at least 1-1/2 hours, or until the chicken is tender. (The older the bird, the longer it takes.)
- If the gumbo becomes too thick, add water.
- Remove from the heat and let sit 15 minutes.
- Skim off the fat and discard.
- Stir in the green onions, parsley, and Tabasco and let sit a few minutes more.
- Serve in large bowls over rice.