Sweet Potato Layer Cake with Coconut Pecan Sweet Potato Frosting
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped Louisiana pecans
- 1 cup mashed Louisiana sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease and lightly flour two 8x1 1/2-inch or 9x1 1/2-inch round baking pans.
Combine 2 cups flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; set aside. In a small dish toss pecans in remaining 2 tablespoons flour; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat mashed sweet potatoes, sugar and oil with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add eggs one at a time, beating 30 seconds after each. Add dry mixture and buttermilk alternately to beaten mixture beating on low speed after each addition until just combines. Stir in flour/pecan mixture.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool thoroughly on wire racks.
- Spread cake tops with Coconut Sweet Potato Frosting, stacking layers.
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup mashed Louisiana sweet potatoes
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
In a medium saucepan combine egg, sugar and sweet potatoes. Stir in milk and butter or margarine. Cook and stir over medium heat about 12 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; stir in flaked coconut and pecans. Cover and cool.