Mama Mary's Lasagna
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 to 5 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 3 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cans of tomato paste (16 ounces each)
- 2 cans of tomato sauce or purée (16 ounces each)
- 6 links Italian sausage, skinned
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound package of lasagna noodles
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1/2 pound provolone cheese, sliced
- 1 cup Parmesan
- 16 ounces small-curd cottage cheese
Heat olive oil in a medium pot. Lightly sautee onions, garlic, parsley, celery and oregano for 2 minutes. Add tomato paste and fry with vegetables for 2 or 3 minutes, until paste begins to brown. Using tomato paste cans, add 1 1/2 to 2 cans of water (according to desired thickness) and then add tomato sauce. Cook for a few minutes.
In a separate skillet, break up the links of sausage and mix in with the ground beef. Sautee together until cooked. Drain off the oils and mix with tomato sauce.
Follow instructions for boiling noodles by subtracting 2 or 3 minutes, as pasta will continue to cook in the oven.
First layer: In a 9 x 13 x 2-inch pan, thinly spread ground beef and sausage mixture to keep noodles from sticking to the pan.
Second through fifth layers: Layer noodles, then top with a slightly thicker layer of the beef and sausage mixture, then 1/4 of the cottage cheese. Top with 1/4 each of the remaining cheeses. Repeat 3 times.
Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit and cook for 20 minutes. Let cool before cutting, to get a better slice.
This recipe was provided by Louisiana Cookin'.