Crabmeat and Avocado with Spicy Vinaigrette
- 3 large Creole tomatoes
- ?3 avocados, halved lengthwise and peeled
- ?2 cups Spicy Vinaigrette, in all, recipe follows
- 1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat, picked
- ?6 sprigs flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
Trim ends of each tomato and cut crosswise into 1/2- inch slices. Cut each avocado half lengthwise into four slices.
Place a tomato slice in the center of each of 12 chilled salad plates. Fan 2 avocado slices over each tomato slice and season lightly with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
Whisk 1 cup Spicy Vinaigrette in a large mixing bowl, add crabmeat and gently combine, keeping lumps intact.
In a separate bowl, whisk remaining vinaigrette and drizzle over each serving of tomato and avocado. Spoon a portion of the crabmeat over the edge of the tomato and avocado, allowing most of it to fall onto the bare plate, and decorate with a parsley sprig. Serve immediately.
Spicy Vinaigrette Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup minced red onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red sweet peppers
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green sweet peppers
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons mild-flavored honey, such as clover
Spicy Vinaigrette Instructions:
Combine all ingredients in a medium nonreactive mixing bowl, and whisk until well blended. Cover and chill overnight.
Chef’s Notes: If the oil congeals, return the vinaigrette to room temperature and whisk vigorously immediately before using.