Claudius's Louisiana Stir-Fry Shrimp
Servings: Serves 2
Courtesy of Claudius Whitmeyer, Shreveport
Printed in August/September 2012
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon celery flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 31/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup sliced purple onion
- 1/2 pound small Louisiana shrimp, peeled,
- rinsed, and patted dry
- 5 green onions, chopped about 1/4-inch
- (green ends only)
- 1 rib celery, chopped about 1/4-inch
- 2 mini carrots, julienned
- Chicken, shrimp, or seafood broth,
- as needed for deglazing
- 3 cups cooked rice*
- Preheat oven to 200º. Combine first 4 ingredients in a mixing bowl. Toss shrimp in flour mixture to lightly coat.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil and butter over medium heat, and add purple onion. Cook until almost brown, then add garlic.
- After about 2 minutes, remove onions and garlic from pan and set aside.
- In same skillet, sauté shrimp, turning only once.
- When just done, combine shrimp with onions and garlic, and place in warm oven. In same skillet, cook green onion, celery, and carrots about 2 minutes.
- Deglaze skillet with a small amount of broth. Add rice to vegetable mixture, and heat everything through.
- Mound a serving of rice on each plate, and top with shrimp mixture.
*Cook’s Note: Rice should be prepared in advance, even a day ahead. Claudius recommends cooking the rice in equal parts water and chicken broth.
Photography by Will Dickey